We are thrilled you are considering adoption through CPO. Here’s how our process works:
- First, you must complete and submit the CPO Adoption Application along with a $300 application fee.
- Once your application has been received, CPO will contact you to set up an interview. For those outside of Oklahoma, we will conduct the interview via Skype.
- After considering your interview and application, we will contact you to let you know if your application to adopt has been approved.
- If approved, you will be contacted to arrange a time to interview. The interview can be over Skype if you live out of town. We will also provide you with a checklist showing the next steps you need to take. These will include starting the home study process and instructions for creating your Life Book to share with birth moms.
- During this time, you will be assigned an adoption mentor to help you through the process and answer any questions you might have. You will be required to attend a Waiting Families Workshop, and you should be reading the required books, attending the monthly adoptive family support group meetings and working on your required volunteer hours.
The matching process.
We will show your Life Book to Birth Moms whose criteria you meet. Quite often, a birth mom will select two or three couples to interview. This is an opportunity for both of you to meet and ask each other questions in a comfortable (neutral) setting. If you are chosen, you will be notified immediately. You can now begin the process of getting to know each other by spending time together. The first half of the agency fee is due to CPO at this time.
After you have been matched, you will meet with CPO’s adoption attorney to discuss the legal process. At this time, the attorney will require a retainer fee.
Depending upon how far long she is in her pregnancy, your birth mother might invite you to attend her medical appointments, and/or invite you to attend her weekly Birth Mother Support Group Meetings.
It’s a lot to soak in, but don’t worry. We are here to help you through the entire process.